Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Fingerpaint Bonanza

As the heat index rises I am beginning to run out of things for Cookie to do that doesn't involve a playground, swimming pool and watching her Mom melt.

I thought I better start researching a few activities we could do in doors for the upcoming weekend. Something a little more than just coloring my US Weekly magazine or hitting up the local Dairy Queen for a sundae. Though I have to admit the DQ run is still likely.

I started to think of all the things we use to do as kids during the summer time and the one thing that stuck in my mind was the endless hours of fingering painting we use to do on my Grandmother's front porch.

Previously I have searched my local Wal-Mart and Target for the original white box of Finger Paint but have been unsuccessful in my search. So I thought what the heck, why don't I reach out to my friend Mr. Google and see if I could pull a Martha Stewart and make some. Sure enough I scored two great recipes that we can do indoors...



Original Fingerpaint

Ingredients

1/2 cup cornstarch
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups cold water
food coloring



Directions

In a medium pan, mix all the ingredients together to make the finger paint. Cook over low heat 10 to 15 minutes. Keep stirring the finger paint mixture until it is smooth and thick. After the finger paint has thickened take the pan off the stove and let the mixture cool.

After cooling, divide the finger paint into storage containers depending on how many colors you would like. Add a few drops of food coloring to each container. Stir the coloring in to the paint to determine the shade of color. You're ready to finger paint! Cover tightly when storing.

Homemade Pottery

You can always make your own pottery with homemade play dough—just let it dry for a few days and then paint it once it's dry.

Mix together in a heavy bottomed pot:

2 cups flour (any kind but self-rising will do)
1 cup salt
4 tablespoons oil (any type of cooking oil will do)
2 cups water
4 teaspoons cream of tartar

Stir constantly over medium heat until it rolls about in a dry mass and looks dry, not shiny. Store in an air-tight container at room temperature. Will keep for 2 months.

Cookie and I will give it a shot this weekend and see how well they work. I am sure we will end up using the floor and possibly the walls as a canvas, but hopefully we will be able to keep it to a piece of paper or at a minimum the kitchen counter.

No comments: